Monday, September 24, 2007

Little Troublemaker

I promised I would put this on the blog...

Last Friday I was dropping the kids off at day care. It was raining outside, and we were just hanging up our raincoats when suddenly the fire alarm went off! It took me about a second to realize that this wasn't a planned fire drill. I turned around to find Maddy, and there she was, standing on the shoe cubby, hand on the fire alarm. My first instinct was to pull the fire alarm handle back up, hoping it would turn off the alarm, but it wouldn't budge. Their teacher came running out, and I said, "Don't worry, it's not a fire, my daughter did that." But she didn't say anything to me and instead rounded up all the kids and took them outside...in the rain, with no coats on! I looked down the hallway and saw all the other classrooms evacuating. The day care director was running by and I told her the same thing, but she was just trying to turn off the alarms. After about 5 minutes, the alarms were finally off, and the kids started coming back in. Everyone was soaked. The older kids thought it was pretty exciting, but the babies in the cribs (yes, they wheeled the cribs out there) just looked perplexed. There was 1 baby just lying there looking around, face soaked...I felt so bad! The director wasn't too pleased, but the kids' teacher said, "Don't worry, this isn't the first time it's happened...or the second, or the third!" (I don't think Maddy was the culprit the other times.) After our talk I'm sure she won't do it again!

Well, we'll be gone in a couple weeks -- the director will probably be glad to see us go!

3 comments:

Mrs. Piccuirro said...

Did you give her a good beating?? (Just kidding!)

That's funny! I can only imagine the look on your face, Lora. What possessed her to do that? Her teacher must have told them not to ever touch that!

What dress size is the little devil, anyway? I heard that she is having a bday soon!

Can't wait to see you all!

Lora said...

Hi, Shalon -- no, I just gave her "the look" (unfortunately, Billy is immune to "the look").

She's wearing size 3T. As you may know, she hasn't worn pants or jeans in a long time, and she hardly even wears skirts anymore...just dresses. I've been trying to find dresses for her that are suitable for school, that she can get dirty and tumble in, but I haven't had much luck.

Lisa said...

It's the Dougherty in her! A Smith would NEVER do such a thing!! Cute Story!