Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Settling In

We've been here a week and a half now, and we're starting to get into a routine. Matt and I were talking last night about how funny it is that, in spite of the change in geography and living arrangements, our lives haven't changed that much: get up, go to work, come home, eat, play with the kids, put the kids to bed, watch TV, and go to bed.

In my case I'm living my dream of being a professional student...or at least, acting like one. (I know, I should dream bigger!) This week I've been going to the library at North Dakota State University to study after I take the kids to day care. With my backpack and ripped jeans on I feel just like I did when I was a college student 16+ years ago, but I can tell by some of the looks I get that I must not look the same as I did back then. I was in the student union bookstore at lunchtime the other day buying extra note cards and I asked the cashier if there was a restaurant in the union. She gave me a funny look and said, "No, there's a food court." Of course -- students don't eat at restaurants!

The kids really seem to be enjoying their North Dakota day care. Every time I pick them up Billy and Maddy are playing together. It's also been good for Billy to get the same lunch as everyone else...it has forced him to try new things, most of which he doesn't like but at least he's trying them.

Billy celebrated his 4th birthday last Friday. He enjoyed getting all the packages in the mail! We decided to keep the celebration low-key...just ate at "home" and spent some time in the indoor pool. The kids love swimming with their life jackets! They would stay in the pool for hours if we let them.






Today's the first nice day we've had in several days. It rained most of last weekend so we mostly stayed in, but this weekend is supposed to be nice so I'm sure we'll be able to find something to do.

Time to go to the Fargo post office and pick up the mail...they're already getting to know me over there.

7 comments:

Mrs. Piccuirro said...

Glad you're settling in. Mike and I need your new address, or should we just mail to your old address and have it forwarded?

jean dougherty said...

test2

jean dougherty said...

This is Linda. Test3

jean dougherty said...

Linda is my helper Thank God.
Message will follow
Love
Mom

Lora said...

Hi, Shalon -- unless it's a package, you can just send it to our old address. For packages it's best to send it to our hotel directly. Address is 4300 20th Ave South, Fargo, ND 58103. Thanks!

Mrs. Piccuirro said...

Lora, thanks to your inspiring blog, I just created a dance team blog and a blog for my English classes.
(That's why I am signed in as Mrs. Piccuirro now!)

http://wallenglish10.blogspot.com/
http://walldance.blogspot.com/

Lora said...

That's cool, Shalon! I mean, Mrs. Piccuirro!

By the way, I finally yesterday looked at your Italy pictures from your honeymoon. It looks beautiful there! I'm glad you had such a great time. Hopefully I'll make it there someday.